January is typically the ‘cold’ month in the desert. Here are a few tips to keep you on track during the month of January:
– Set out hybrid tulips and hyacinth bulbs that had been prechilled (Zones 9-10). They need at least a month and a half of chilling before planting.
– Plant winter-growing aloe somewhere that protects them from afternoon sun.
– This is the best time to plant bare root trees and shrubs.
– African daisies, calendula, California poppy, hollyhocks, larkspur, pansies, roses, snapdragon, sweet peas and verbena can be planted this month.
– In your garden, plant asparagus, cabbage, lettuce, potatoes, radishes and strawberries (and other berries).
CLICK HERE for the full article.